Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Perspective

I think that the hardest thing for me through my struggle with bipolar disorder, depression, craziness...whatever the label, is that my perspective constantly changes and sometimes, I have two perspectives at the same time.  I can almost dettach myself completely and watch the train wreck of my life.  I understand everything that is going on around me, I know my emotions and my reactions do not properly reflect what is happening (they are often blown up, although sometimes I'm completely apathetic).  Its frustrating; to think one thing and express another.  I literally have no control over what comes out, even if it is not at all how I feel internally.  Does that make sense?  Of course not.  NORMAL people express how they feel, they don't express things they don't feel or think!

For example, today, a completely normal laid back day.  I'm doing household chores yet I find myself in complete panic, totally overwhelmed, hating life and wondering when the day will finally be over because I just can't handle the stress of it all.  Stress?  What stress?  I'm clearly having a "what the fuck?" moment.  If I could just unwind or get myself to calm down.  I need to look around and realize that there is no stress, no pressure, and no impending doom. 

My therapist thinks that's wonderful that I can recognize when my feelings don't align with my life.  I think that's a crock.  How is it wonderful that someone can recognize how coo coo cachoo they are?  Her reasoning is I could just be completely oblivious to it and just feel miserable without realizing that there's nothing to be miserable about...got that?  I guess her point is at least I can try to talk myself down.  My take on it is, I know my feelings don't make sense, I try and talk myself down, I can't so then I'm just frustrated with myself and my whacked out emotions. 

So, its all a matter of perspective, however, I can't always get the right perspective of life to shine through my feelings.  How do we train ourselves to feel properly?  If anyone has the answers, I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment